Friday, April 18, 2014

Cool Tools: Smart Carts, Wheelbarrows and Learning Simple Machines in the Schoolyard

Third Grade in Virginia and elsewhere study simple machines: levers, wedges, inclined planes, screws, pulleys, the wheel and axle.

What a wonderful opportunity to study physics and engineering outdoors in the yard or schoolyard!

How does a shovel work? And a trowel?
Now experiment with several kinds of the same tool and discuss why each one works and which you find optimal.  Then design your own tools....

A wheelbarrow is an example of a machine that uses a lever and wheel/axle.
Do some testing in your yard with different wheelbarrows and garden carts.

With the Smart Cart and garden cart I can carry a load single-handed, up and down an inclined plane, with two wheels.  The Smart Cart is much easier to use than the less expensive garden cart.
With the wheelbarrow: I need two hands to carry the same load, and I need to do more work for the same load, but I only have one wheel to look after.
  • Discuss with your students the pros and cons of one and two wheels.
  • How well does each machine steer?
  • What happens when you want to put down your barrow?
  • Which machine is more stable?
  • How do the wheels differ in size, and tire, and maintenance?
  • Try the balance with different distributions of load?
My 7 cu ft dark green Smart Cart cost about $350
My 7 cu ft light green garden cart cost about $120
My 6 cu ft wheelbarrow cost about $85
My 4 cu ft wheelbarrow cost about $35-40
My 2 cu ft red wheelbarrow cost about $30

What is the triple bottom line for the various criteria: economic, environmental and social?
As an adult, I much prefer to use the dark green Smart Cart: I decided to base my decision not on cost alone, but how well it does the job of moving my load from point A to point B, and other criteria such as looks, mechanics and durability.


My kids K-5 give their thumbs up for the little red wheelbarrow.  And they also like the balance and ease of the big Smart Cart!

If you're looking for curriculum on simple machines and STEM in the Schoolyard - without reinventing the wheel - here it is...
http://www.realschoolgardens.org/Libraries/Documents/STEM_in_the_Schoolyard_-_Simple_Machines.sflb.ashx

Buy wheelbarrows and garden carts at your local hardware store.
Buy Smart Carts online at http://shop.mullerscarts.com/utility-cart/












No comments:

Post a Comment